Wednesday, December 5, 2018

People Before Process and Things

When I began attending La Leche League meetings in 1982, an oft-repeated phrase was, "People before things."

It's a maxim that guided my parenting decisions and the way I now conduct business.

It also guided my decisions this morning. I'm a little behind on stuff I get done earlier in the morning in favor of spending time on the phone last night with an uncle and this morning with a daughter.

No crisis, nothing like that.

Many times, certain conversations can be brief and taken up again at a mutually agreed time. But not always.

Last night and this morning fell into the "not this time" camp.

The video I was planning to share this morning can wait. Because sometimes people cannot.

The happiness he gives, is quite as great as if it cost a fortune. (A Christmas Carol)


Illustration by Kathleen Rose Van Pelt for "Bryony."

No comments: