Monday, April 23, 2018

Playing "Old-Fashioned Girl"

It seemed that every nineteenth century book I read as a child, from An Old-Fashioned Girl by Louisa May Alcott to Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder referenced some form of molasses candy.

So of course when writing Bryony, I referenced it, too, and put an authentic recipe (i.e. one that doesn't contain corn syrup) into the office BryonySeries cookbook, Memories in the Kitchen: Bites and Nibbles from "Bryony," which is a fundraiser for Big Brothers Big Sisters of Will and Grundy Counties.

Yesterday, Rebekah Baran and I made some, but we started too late to to post it. Here's some of the highlights.

Try the recipe HERE.

What did I think of the my first bite of nineteenth century candy? It's not very sweet; I could see why some recipes call for "nutmeats" (if anything to keep the teeth from sticking together); and I kept Almonzo's pig in mind and ate only very tiny pieces at one time.




Molasses boiling on the stove. This was the longest part of the process.



Molasses lightens in color after saleratus (baking soda) is added.



Molasses nearly cooled enough to pull and shape.



The finished product.

No comments: