Monday, November 23, 2020

To Pen Pal or Not Pen Pal: Thoughts?

I found this photo in my blog drafts from 2018. It's a piece of correspondence from my oldest grandson, who's now thirteen.

About five years ago, I started a monthly mailing with eight grandchildren, which I suspended in March when the pandemic began. At the time, people had some fears about getting COVID through the mail. Mostly, though, I was frustrated with the mail service.

For example, if I added extra postage to a card, one might come back still demanding more. So in a household of three children, one wouldn't get his or her card.

Sometimes, a card would simply never arrive at its destination. The affected grandchild would wail about why I forgot him or her. These examples happened more times than they should have happened.

So I'm on the fence about restarting it.

On the pro side, the kids loved "mail day," as one of my daughters-in-law told me.

As did I when a grandchild put in the effort to send something to me in return.

This is why I can't decide.







No comments: