Friday, January 19, 2018

Story Round-Up: Features in The Herald-News, Jan. 14 through Jan. 19

Not much of a story round-up this week, as far as full-length feature stories go.

Besides having a couple days off, I've been catching up on other work I had to let slide during the holidays in order to focus on the holiday work, as well as start an events newsletter for The Herald-News.

BTW, the newsletter is free. Interested? Sign up at http://www.theherald-news.com/newsletter/will-county-go-guide/#//

On Monday, I also met with my WriteOn Joliet co-leader Tom Hernandez to outline plans for this calendar year. Among the projects: a second anthology (buy our first one HERE), two open mic nights at Book and Bean Cafe in Joliet, and a marketing arm to the group.

Also since, the self-publishing seminar went so well, we'd like to offer it again later this year, as well as a few others, such as self-editing, etc. So if you're a writer reading this blog, stay tuned!

Oh and a local acting teacher in town has agreed to work with me to improve and enliven my readings. The first lesson starts this Saturday. She wants to record it, as do I, to track my progress.

I also accepted a ghostwriting project, writing the memoirs of a local woman who turned 92 in June. I'd written about this woman a couple times years ago and found out after the first story ran that she was a neighbor to Sarah Stegall.

Not to mention I'll be starting a BryonySeries newsletter later this year (details HERE) -- as well as the Calkins Day celebration on Feb. 13. Details are HERE.

These are some of the reasons why I agreed. So 2018 is shaping up to be a busy year.

Needless to say, I didn't get completely caught up this week, of course, but enough to stay the course over the next few weeks.

Now where do you find features, fiction, and me?

Non-bylined features:

Monday through Saturday I assembled my non-bylined works - brief posts and calendar listings - into one convenient file and posting them on Facebook in the evening, so readers can easily choose the ones they want to read.

One can also find those event listings, the Gotta Do It calendar, as well as the pets, health, faith, and arts and entertainment calendars, under the sections tab on the left hand side of http://www.theherald-news.com/. Click on "features" and the topics drop down.  Gotta Do It runs under "people."

Community news? Again, under the sections tab, under features, and by topic. Updates are posted on these days in print and web (and some only on web on other days as I have the time): Monday (pets), Tuesday (health), Thursday (faith), Friday (arts and entertainment), and Sunday (people).

Social media:

Daily updates: I do post the briefs and calendars on Twitter during the week, so you're welcome to follow me at @Denise_Unland61.

BryonySeries stuff: I post curated content relating to the BryonySeries at @BryonySeries. And assorted related content at www.facebook.com/BryonySeries. And of course, please follow the adventures of Bertrand the Mouse on Instagram at bertrand_bryonyseries.

Books and Such

Information on my books (including where to buy) is at www.bryonyseries.com

Thank you for reading The Herald-News. And for reading this blog. And if you're read (or plan to read) any of my books. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Here are the two stories that ran in features this week. For the briefs, scroll back to this week's community news posts.


Channahon teen quick to say three magic words

This teenage boy not only joined the family for prayers, including recitation of the rosary, he prayed on his own, too.

"He always had such a close relationship with God," Aideth Lopez, Aiden's mother,  said.

http://www.theherald-news.com/lists/2018/01/14/277094b182c44ce99cbaaeaa07e98e27/index.xml


Mystery Diner: Plenty of variety at Westfield Family Restaurant

For the first time ... ever, my kids already knew what they wanted and I had no idea.



Illustration by Matt Coundiff for "Visage." Follow him at www.facebook.com/artbymattcoundiff or @MattCoundiff on Twitter



No comments: