Friday, December 8, 2017

Story Round-Up: Features in The Herald-News, Dec. 3 through Dec. 8

Happy Friday, readers, writers, vampire fans, and everyone else!

Except for a bit of editing, I haven't spent any time with Before the Blood since my writing retreat, but that's going to change starting tomorrow.

Because the company has restructured weekend coverage, I no longer have to serve as a news editor every third weekend, which leaves me free to tackle more features on weekends and get back into a regular writing schedule for my fiction and marketing.

Needless to say, the news came as an early Christmas present to me, which I celebrated by covering an open house of the Will County Model Railroad Association last weekend (story below, videos uploaded later).

Today reading at my grandson Ezekiel's school this afternoon (with Bertrand the Mouse in tow), for real this time. On my way to the school last week, I learned Ezekiel was sick. At the teacher's request, I rescheduled for today, because she really wanted me to read when my grandson was there. so it was a good change of plans.

Speaking of plans and looking ahead, I do have several events scheduled into 2018 and will share those here soon. If you'd like a sneak peak, visit the Fetes and Feasts page at www.bryonyseries.com and the events page at www.facebook.com/BryonySeries.

Also in 2018, I'll be starting a newsletter. I'm giving away the first chapter of one of the books in the Before the Blood prequel as a "thank you" for signing up. Want to be included? Drop me a line at bryonyseries@gmail.com.

Now some quick information before the stories:

Also in 2018, I'll be starting a newsletter. I'm giving away the first chapter of one of the books in the BTB prequel as a "thank you" for signing up. Want to be included? Drop me a line at bryonyseries@gmail.com

Now some quick information before the stories:

Non-bylined features:

Monday through Saturday I assembled my non-bylined works - brief posts and calendar listings - into one convenient file and posting them on Facebook in the evening, so readers can easily choose the ones they want to read.

One can also find those event listings, the Gotta Do It calendar, as well as the pets, health, faith, and arts and entertainment calendars, under the sections tab on the left hand side of http://www.theherald-news.com/. Click on "features" and the topics drop down.  Gotta Do It runs under "people."

Community news? Again, under the sections tab, under features, and by topic. Updates are posted on these days in print and web and in web on other days as I have the time: Monday (pets), Tuesday (health), Thursday (faith), Friday (arts and entertainment), and Sunday (people).

Social media:

Daily updates: I do post the briefs and calendars on Twitter during the week, so you're welcome to follow me at @Denise_Unland61.

BryonySeries stuff: I post curated content relating to the BryonySeries at @BryonySeries. And assorted related content at www.facebook.com/BryonySeries. And of course, please follow the adventures of Bertrand the Mouse on Instagram at bertrand_bryonyseries.

Thank you for reading The Herald-News. And for reading this blog. Your support is greatly appreciated.


'The Grandfather Tree Goes Down' in Romeoville

June Kobzina recalls that fateful Sunday as sunny and rather non-eventful: she went to church, weeded her garden and had lunch. While working a crossword puzzle, Kobzina half-heard the TV mention something about storms, not really paying attention until it grew extremely windy and heavy rain and hail fell.

"One minute the backyard tree was there," Kobzina wrote. "And the next minute it was gone."

http://www.theherald-news.com/lists/2017/11/30/afbbf3523909411984fba9fee6c069e9/index.xml?page=1


Dreams about childhood on Joliet’s East Side

“Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again.”

That’s the famous opening line in one of my favorite novels, “Rebecca” by Daphne du Maurier. It’s a 
line that often replays in my head when I dream about my childhood home on Belmont Avenue.



An Extraordinary Life: Joliet woman was a 'walking Jesus'

“If you had to pick her up, and you were six, eight minutes late, she’d already made adjustments and gone about her business,” Bob King of Joliet , Anna King's brother, said. “Being prompt is a very important key to understanding anyone’s time. And she made it a point by saying, ‘People who don’t wear watches don’t value their time.’ ”



Be a Santa to a local pet

If you can, make a difference in one of their lives. Bring one home for Christmas.

Click for information on the local shelters and rescues that contribute weekly to “Pets of the Week.”



Pets of the Week: Dec. 4

Read the caption of each photo to find out about that pet, including where he or she can be adopted.

http://www.theherald-news.com/lists/2017/11/29/57b35c509b2049d0938de79ca52d88c5/index.xml


Mystery Diner: Williamson's in New Lenox has large portions, great specials and plenty of options

It was Tuesday, which meant burger and chicken specials.




Joliet man pens devotional unlikely to be forgotten

“They’ll only make 52 changes a year,” Hansen said, “but more than they normally would."

http://www.theherald-news.com/lists/2017/12/05/e2477f8594b9464bb6b53d27f6dd4f71/index.xml


Will County clubs helps keep these enthusiasts on track

Click on the link below for open house, meeting times, and plenty of photos.



Frankfort native to return for Christmas show

Katie Blomarz, bassist, said The Barefoot Movement knows 18 Christmas songs, such as those performed by Perro Como and Frank Sinatra, all acoustically arranged.


No comments: