Saturday, November 18, 2017

Ed Calkins: Ruthless Distractions

Dear MOMI,

No doubt you've noticed that my correspondence has been scarce. I'm sure you can understand what happens to me this time of year as I transition for a ruthless Irish vampire to that merry big elf. You'll have to imagine it because I can't.

Typically, I decide to be either ruthlessly jolly or merrily ruthless, and I get completely distracted trying to decide what that means. The reverse transition is more immediate as somebody corrects my introduction some time after Christmas. ('No you're a jolly big oaf.')

This year, I have a different distraction. One who reads the news, (Does anyone do that anymore?), might think that I'm frustrated by all the incompetent ruthless dictators leading many failed countries but, nevertheless, getting the "ruthless" part completely wrong. 

Insulting your opposition is quintessential but repeating the same insults on an endless continuum promotes the notion that no victory was achieved. I don't want to mention names so I'll use myself as a positive example. 

People fear me because I might think badly of them, so they pretty much do as I "suggest," but if I insulted everyone all the time, say on some social media device, with composition that lack aesthetic value, I might get the label of "ruthlessly idiotic" and generate no fear at all.

(Sigh) 

It's so hard to mentor would be ruthless dictators. They tend to be so sensitive especially when marriage is involved, and I have to play marriage counselor...

My point is slipping away from me, so I'll tell you more while concealing the identity of the couple at a latter time.

My distraction at this particular time is China. I recently realized that I know almost nothing about its people, history, and culture. If I wasn't a ruthless dictator, I might conclude that problem is my own ignorance resolvable by studious study. But as I am a ruthless dictator, I can only conclude that the China has been hiding from me.

Still, let's look at some clues and start with a map. 

Eureka! 

The first deviant distraction comes to play. 

On a 12 x 8 world map, China looks small, like a tiny scoop of ice cream out of the banana split bowl that is Asia. A globe tells a different story.

                        ...........to be continued........wife is calling...........


Ruthlessly yours,

Ed Calkins, Steward of Tara



No comments: