Monday, October 16, 2017

Something Old, Something New

Something old: On Saturday, I attended Indie Author Day at the Plainfield Public Library, driving there in the middle of a monsoon. The day was a series of presentations with just one hour to display our books.

I was table mates with Holly Coop, another WriteOn Joliet author, and we sounded like each other's publicist in the way we promoted each other's books to those browsing the tables. This was probably the most fun part of the day.

The other part I enjoyed was the author roundtable, where a moderator introduced a topic and anyone could answer.

Having attended a number of these events, for which I'm always thankful, I think two changes next time might make this one more fun for all and more effective for overall networking.

One: Allow the author fair to be ongoing throughout the day instead of having only one hour to display and sell books. I'm assuming presentation brought different participants, which means new possible customers and greater chances to making connections.

Two: Allow time for networking after the roundtable so participating authors could meet and chat with each other afterwards.

Thoughts from other authors?

Something new: Each day, I edit, publish on The Herald-News website, and then tweet out on my site and the publication's site, a variety of community news, most (but not all), pertaining to the day's topic (features is divided into various topics for each day).

While I make mention of these calendars and briefs during Friday's story roundup, I'd like to collect them and present them on Facebook, too. There are too many to post one by one on Facebook, my caution is to never apear "spammy."

So I'm going to try publishing a second blog Monday through Saturday with only links to the community news: upcoming events and brief (non-bylined) submitted stories about community happenings.

I'm assuming these won't have broad appeal, but I enjoy assembling them and learning the awesome things people are doing and have done. Perhaps you will, enjoy reading them, too.

Have a great Monday, vampire fans! :)



No comments: