Tuesday, October 3, 2017

I've Made Friends with a Book Marketing Muse

Most writers who actually write (instead of talking about writing) often speak of their writing muse, that flow of inspiration that either runs like a babbling brook or sludge, oftentimes at its whim.

I now have a new muse in my life, one I thought would never befriend me.

It's my book marketing muse.

Like many writers, the thought of self-promotion turns me as pale as a vampire in sunlight. I'm most comfortable behind a screen, not in front of it, refining a craft I secretly pray will disperse into the universe like magic dust and settle into the minds of readers, making them clamor for more.

Fortunately for me, I've had one good brand ambassador fan of the series who, for several years now, has constantly exhorted me to promote the BryonySeries.

Because she loves the series and is certain others will, too.

Because no one will know if I don't put the information out there.

Because she does plenty of her own promotion of my works, and if she can, I probably ought to do the same.

So last Thanksgiving weekend, I spent a couple days writing a marketing plan. It's about four pages long. I've barely touched most of the ideas, not for reasons of shyness or sloth, but because each idea requires its own developing, and development takes time. And I have faithfully put in that time over this last year.

Also, like any muscle, my book marketing biceps are shriveled from lack of use. But like any muscle, flex it a bit, and it springs into action.

Or so my book marketing muse tells me. And I'm finding it's true.

Yes, a book marketing muse is a real thing.

Now that this muse and I have befriended each other, I'm learning three's not a crowd, that my writing muse and my marketing muse can sit in the same room and exchange ideas.

Hence, the reason for this post.

The ideas these two muses are creating are plausible and realistic. And as I work my way through the plan, executing and refining, I'm finding myself getting as excited about marketing as I do about writing.

Of course, I need to be a good friends to these muses in return. Each requires one-on-one time, as well as group outings. But these meeting of the minds are fruitful, and the seeds of new projects are starting to bloom even as I'm tending existing ones.

Not quite as prolific as bryony vines. But at a pace I can prune and harvest.

Exciting stuff, vampire fans.




No comments: