Thursday, October 12, 2017

A 'Throwback' of a Different Kind

A few mornings ago, through a bleary brain as I sipped my coffee and signed online, I mused on how we've had no internet woes at the house for awhile.

Bad thought to have. Because yesterday, after a very short night of sleep (when I could have been sleeping except I had work to get done before working offsite for the day), I had no internet.

After multiple resettings of the system, I learned outages were reported in the area. Estimated restoration time: 8:30 a.m.

By now, I'd been up over thirty minutes. And restored service was four hours away. Too late to get any significant work done, too late and too wide awake to go back to sleep.

Once again, block from what I needed to do by technology.

There's no doubt about it. Technology makes many aspects of our life easier. 

I don't miss the days of typewriters and correction tape (or fluid).

I don't miss the days of staying home because of the need to "wait for an important call."

I don't have to wait to go to the library when I need a question answered or want to research a topic. Social media allows instant communication. Email makes communication happen without playing phone tag.

And yet, how quickly all those things shut down when the internet does.

Without the internet, I can't do many aspects of my job.

Having lived in the "good 'ol days," I can tell you they weren't any better than the ones we have today. They had different opportunities and different challenges.

Technology is here to stay, and I'm glad.

I just wish it was here to stay everyday.




No comments: