Monday, September 4, 2017

Social Media Break: Three Things I Learned Upon Returning

It's been about two weeks since my last post, having been out of state for eight days and then returning to a working weekend.

This is about the only time each year I break from daily posting. In the past, views understandably decline. This time, they did not (and in some cases increased), leading me to realize three things.

1) I have some loyal readers.

I'm assuming these are people who check to see if I've FINALLY posted and then consoling themselves with old posts.


2) Tagging posts really works.

Because the posts that DID get the most views were really old, say from 2011 to 2013. I'm assuming readers found them through internet searches or the list of tags on the blog's landing page. Which leads me to...


3) The compounding nature of existing Twitter posts.

I use Google shortener and check the number of clicks the day's posts received while scheduling the next round. What I didn't know is that followers still clock on old posts. I scrolled waaaaay back into my list of shortened links and saw how the views had gone up.


The moral of the story?

Social media is not the entire marketing answer and for most of us, it won't build an immediate audience. But slow and steady might not only win the race, it makes for a pleasant journey.

Not a bad reflection for Labor Day. And a nice "welcome home." :)



No comments: