Friday, June 16, 2017

Story Round-Up: Features in The Herald-News, June 11 through June 16

It's been an intense couple of weeks. I think it's caught up with me, zzzzzz...days like today, I'm thankful for coffee.

On the plus side, I'd be surprised if Henry's chapter nine wasn't finished by early next week. This week's pecking brought me closer to the end than I'd initially thought possible.

Also on the plus side, I've been faithful to my early morning writing routine (I'm here, ain't I) and each marketing step I've taken. And my co-writer and I will be implementing three steps to WriteOn Joliet. Soon.

Rebekah and I did begin cooking and photographing recipes from Memories in the Kitchen: Bites and Nibbles from "Bryony," which is a fundraiser for Big Brothers Big Sisters of Will and Grundy Counties.  The recipes will remain on the Sue's Diner page of the BryonySeries website for a week, with a new one posted each Sunday.

And speaking of Rebekah, she just remembered last night to send me the final copy of Cornell Dyer and the Missing Tombstone, the one she mistakenly uploaded to Createspace. If you recall, I recently had it recopyedited, so I'll make those changes this week. I'm on again this weekend, so realistically that won't happen.

The rest of my aging and very tired brain cells are reserved for work. So if you're so inclined, please take a peek at what ran in features this past week.


Non-bylined work: the health, faith, and arts and entertainment calendars. Where to find them? Under the sections tab on the left hand side of http://www.theherald-news.com/. Click on "features" and the topics drop down.

Gotta Do It, runs each Sunday in the People section.

Feature briefs for Monday (pets), Tuesday (health), Thursday (faith), Friday (arts and entertainment), and Sunday (people) are also edited (texted and photos) by the lady of this blog, but only the stories have bylines. I do try to post new content daily.

Another option: I do post the briefs and calendars on Twitter during the week, so you're welcome to follow me at @Denise_Unland61. And of course, I post curated content relating to the BryonySeries at @BryonySeries.

Thank you for reading The Herald-News.


Crest Hill man makes a living sharpening knives

If it’s serviceable, Mikula will sharpen it. Read on for his most unusual job.



Crest Hill man loved his church, his family, his community, and served all three
Dan Albert died as he lived – helping

A quiet man, Dan liked nothing better than to “lend a helping hand,” be it his church, his community or his family.



Pets of the Week: June 12

Read the caption of each photo to find out about that pet, including where he or she can be adopted.



Joliet counselor incorporates play into therapy
Jennifer Planing uses board games, coloring and toys when counseling

“It’s their language, how they talk and work through things,” Planing said. “We can use that for the time they don’t have words to talk about what is going on, or they don’t want to talk about what is going on, or when they’re not sure what is going on.”



Barolo’s boasts top-notch service and outstanding food
By MYSTERY DINER

The Napoleon of Berries and Mousses, consisted of flaky puff pastry, Peruvian dark chocolate mousse, white chocolate mousse and medley of berries, topped with an edible flower. It was almost too pretty to eat. Key word is “almost.” We devoured it.



'They're like completely new icons'
St. Nicholas restores icons painted by historic iconographers

What makes these icons valuable, said Matusiak, is that few, if any, Orthodox churches in the United States still have icons by these particular iconographers – and certainly not a collection of them. In fact, the icons at St. Nicholas may be the largest collection of Elchaninov/Struve icons in a single parish, he added.



Bicentennial Park is more than gnomes, pumpkins and boats

When the City of Joliet hired Debbie Greene as development director and Lori Carmine as park manager, city officials mentioned they wanted to see expanded programming to make the park more relevant to everyone, Carmine said.

“I think they had this idea that the park could be more than what it had been,” Carmine said. “It had been very successful in the past. But we kept doing things the the same way when the world seemed to be changing.”



Artworks: Joliet Central alum hosts 'Werkshop' music series
By Jessica Spangler

According to Erick Deshaun Dorris, he saw a need for a workshop that would create an environment open to criticism and discussion for songwriters.

"The audience is able to sit and listen critically to new music," Dorris said.








No comments: