Friday, May 26, 2017

Story Round-Up: Features in The Herald-News, May 21 through May 26

If you haven't checked out our new website, please do so now. www.bryonyseries.com.

We're still in the creation/updating-ish phase, but it's there, has information, and looks great on mobile.

Holiday weekend plans: Well, I'm the holiday editor, so I am working Monday.

Since Henry's chapter eight took a turn two week's ago (and I had almost no time last weekend to play with it, as computer issues and weekend editor issues...well, you know...), I really, really, really hope to finish it this weekend, and make SOME progress on nine, as ten is done.

Shoot Bertrand's First Book of Numbers, which sadly also went by the wayside last weekend (as I glance down at the bags of props still at my feet).

Making some headway on Cornell and the Necklace of Forgetfulness is five (ditto reasons why I didn't touch it last week).

Fix the mistakes in Cornell Dyer and the Missing Tombstone and reupload. (An earlier copy was accidentally uploaded).

Post the "Cornell" reviews from the students at Joliet Montessori.

Will I get it all done? Well, we shall see.


And now...

First, the non-bylined work: the health, faith, and arts and entertainment calendars. Three of them can be found at this link:. http://www.theherald-news.com/lifestyle/ Plenty of health briefs this week, as my health cover fell through. Be sure to check them out.

Gotta Do It, runs each Sunday and often stays on the home page throughout the week.

Feature briefs for Tuesday (health), Thursday (faith), Friday (Arts and Entertainment), and Sunday (People) are also edited (texted and photos) by the lady of this blog, but only the stories have bylines.

Another option: I do post the briefs and calendars on Twitter during the week, so you're welcome to follow me at @Denise_Unland61. And of course, I post curated content relating to the BryonySeries at @BryonySeries.

Just an FYI: On free days, holidays, and Sundays I'm not on call, I only post the blog to my "real" Twitter account, as my company insists we do take time off. I'm less reasonable, so unless I'm on a real vacation, I still post to the BryonySeries accounts.

FYI: videos have not been attaching to my Herald-News stories, although they do run for a time on the home page. You may also find them under the "videos" tab.

If you'd like to watch a video, and it's not showing up for you, message me, and I'll manually attach it. No worries for this week, though, although I will have videos for Sunday.

Thank you for reading The Herald-News.


All in the family: Joliet mom and twin girls graduate from JJC at same time

Audrey Bopp and daughters Amanda and Ashley experience college together

Delivering newspapers was supposed to be a temporary job for Audrey, a way to add to the family income while the girls, who both have cerebral palsy, were young.

By the time Ashley and Amanda were juniors at Joliet Central High School and taking dual credit classes with college in mind, Audrey realized she needed a change.



An Extraordinary Life: Joliet dentist began pediatric denistry department at Loyola University
Dr. Dick Streitz treated patients with compassion


Bob Stephen of Joliet also called Dick “an icon” and “one of the most gentlemanly gentleman I ever met.”

“He was a man that I could trust. He was a man with tremendous character. He was sort of a one-way thinking man; it was either his way or the highway,” Bob said. “I liked that approach because of all the dealings I had with Dick, they were totally above-board and totally honest."



Pets of the Week: May 22

Click on the caption of each photo to find out about that pet, including where he or she can be adopted.



Maria’s Ristorante & Pizzeria in Morris features classic American and Italian cuisine

Several things we also noticed right away about Maria’s: daily specials, light dining Monday through Thursday and gluten-free pizzas and pastas.



Small Wilmington church to host retirement open house for longtime pastor
Church to host retirement open house for the Rev. Rodney Chappell

“I wanted to major in art in college, but God wouldn’t let me get into any art classes,” Chappell said. “I realized God called me to do something else.”



Joliet area churches offer Vacation Bible School events in 2017

A number of churches are offering Vacation Bible School events in Will and Grundy counties this summer. These include the following listed here.



Plenty of summer festivals scheduled in Will, Grundy counties for 2017

Ah, summer!

Sunshine, slower pace, and plenty of outdoor festival fun - like these upcoming events in Will and Grundy counties.



Plainfield photographer captures the subtler side of travel

These aren’t vacation photos or snapshots of famous places on tours.

Rather, these are Lane’s impressions of the world she’s extensively traveled.









No comments: