Friday, February 3, 2017

Story Round-Up: Features in The Herald-News, Jan 29 through Feb. 3

So I've taken on these extra work projects...

In fact, last week I had the news cover, and this week I'll have the news cover, and next week (when I'm the on-call editor), I'll have the news cover and video training as well. Oh, and did I mention I have video training that weekend, too?

Now I did volunteer for these projects (Cue Donald Horshack's hand waving in the air, for those of you old enough to remember), so I'm not complaining, just stating.

But...but, you ask. What about fiction? Quick reassurance: I have not forsaken it. And at the end of these crazy few weeks, I'm taking a day off. On a Friday. So I can have a long writing weekend, which will most likely be followed by a week of running wire so I can catch up on briefs.

In the meantime, I'm steeped into the last section of Henry's seventh chapter that needs structuring. And so, during this time of extra "work" work, I'm picking off this part bit by little bit. The plan is to be at the chapter eight stage by the time I hit the long weekend.

Isn't that a good plan?

And now onto the stories...

First, the non-bylined work: the health, faith, and arts and entertainment calendars. Three of them can be found at the link below. http://www.theherald-news.com/lifestyle/ Gotta Do It, runs each Sunday and often stays on the home page throughout the week.

Feature briefs for Tuesday (health), Thursday (faith), Friday (Arts and Entertainment), and Sunday (People) are also edited (texted and photos) by the lady of this blog, but only the stories have bylines.

Another option: I do post the briefs and calendars on Twitter during the week, so you're welcome to follow me at @Denise_Unland61. And of course, I post curated content relating to the BryonySeries at @BryonySeries.

Just an FYI: On free days, holidays, and Sundays I'm not on call, I only post the blog to my "real" Twitter account, as my company insists we do take time off. I'm less reasonable, so unless I'm on a real vacation, I still post to the BryonySeries accounts.

FYI: videos have not been attaching to my Herald-News stories, although they do run for a time on the home page. You may also find them under the "videos" tab.

If you'd like to watch a video, and it's not showing up for you, message me, and I'll manually attach it. No worries for this week, though, although I will have videos for Sunday.

Thank you for reading The Herald-News.



Joliet library's 'Miss Sheila' retires after 23 years of service to children and families (VIDEO EXTRA)

Sheila Kinsella hosted her final story time at Joliet Public Library

Kinsella never simply read a story; she engaged the children in a dynamic shared activity.



An Extraordinary Life: Joliet man proud of his service to family and country
Family man David Jameson never removed his World War II cap

What was the best day of his life? The day in 2010, David and his brother, Joe Jameson, also a veteran, experienced an Honor Flight. Equal to it was returning to France in 2004 with several family members and a group from his Army division.



Pets of the Week: Jan. 30

 Click on the caption of each photo to find out about that pet, including where he or she can be adopted.



Elwood woman and cervical cancer survivor on a mission to get women screened (VIDEO EXTRA)

Just hearing the word can cause a sinking feeling. For Paulette Apostolou, 49, of Elwood, the distress of a cervical cancer diagnosis was combined with regret.

Apostolou hadn’t received a Pap test in 14 years.

“I didn’t think I needed to go,” Apostolou said. “I was busy building a business with my ex-husband. Just life. I didn’t take care of myself.”



Mystery Diner: Plainfield's Sovereign has sophisticated menu with a purpose

The Mystery Diner is a newsroom employee at The Herald-News. The diner’s identity is not revealed to restaurant staff before or during the meal.

It’s clear a ton of time was put into the creations. You could go after anything from arctic char to chorizo seitan, two items I couldn’t locate or explain to you if I tried. Or there’s a grilled rib eye, pork tenderloin and Amish chicken breast.



Joliet couple builds bridges between people in need and people who can help (VIDEO EXTRA)
KC and Gail Crino’s ministry is to meet people’s most basic needs

KC’s pastor at Judson, the Rev. Kevin Comfort, summed it up like this: KC ministers to people who “need someone to walk alongside them.”



Homemade rosaries to be part of St. Ray's event in Joliet
Joliet woman makes rosaries for the cost of materials

Each rosary from ABC Rosaries costs an estimated $65 to $75. Christine Merriman charges only for materials, never for labor. She said she makes them with sterling silver and genuine stones, such as amethyst and Swarovski crystal. She then adds a simple cross – not a crucifix.



Upcoming programs at Forest Preserve District of Will County are for the birds
Winter an ideal time to begin bird watching

Even if a birder only sees Canadian geese, there’s “always rare stuff hiding or coming through with the other birds,” Bryerton said. Sometimes a bird is separated from his own group and travels along with another until he catches up.

“They don’t care if other birds are there,” Bob Bryerton, district naturalist, said. “Any spot of open water is all that concerns the bird: ‘This is open water and I’m going there.’”




No comments: