Friday, January 27, 2017

Story Round-Up: Features in The Herald-News, Jan 22 through Jan. 27

Today is a long day, and tomorrow is my first day off in fourteen of them, and the only one I will have truly free for a couple of weeks.

Next weekend I'm covering an event, and the following weekend I'm back on as the weekend editor - although, if I'm smart, I'll build in some shorter days somewhere. (Be smart, Denise, be smart).

One interesting note: Feb. 13 is Ed Calkins Day. What is that, you may ask? Ah, more on that tomorrow!

But when a series has a built-in holiday, it's poor form for the author to miss it, as I have done every year since I wrote the first book. This year, I'm addressing my neglectful behavior.

And now onto the stories...

First, the non-bylined work: the health, faith, and arts and entertainment calendars. Three of them can be found at the link below. http://www.theherald-news.com/lifestyle/ Gotta Do It, runs each Sunday and often stays on the home page throughout the week.

Feature briefs for Tuesday (health), Thursday (faith), Friday (Arts and Entertainment), and Sunday (People) are also edited (texted and photos) by the lady of this blog, but only the stories have bylines.

Another option: I do post the briefs and calendars on Twitter during the week, so you're welcome to follow me at @Denise_Unland61. And of course, I post curated content relating to the BryonySeries at @BryonySeries.

Just an FYI: On free days, holidays, and Sundays I'm not on call, I only post the blog to my "real" Twitter account, as my company insists we do take time off. I'm less reasonable, so unless I'm on a real vacation, I still post to the BryonySeries accounts. I won't be posting to my personal Twitter account this weekend, only to BryonySeries.

FYI: videos have not been attaching to my Herald-News stories, although they do run for a time on the home page. You may also find them under the "videos" tab.

If you'd like to watch a video, and it's not showing up for you, message me, and I'll manually attach it. No worries for this week, though, although I will have videos for Sunday.

Thank you for reading The Herald-News.


Two Joliet area boat enthusiasts now licensed by U.S. Coast Guard (VIDEO EXTRA)
David Ferro and James V. Smith complete rigorous U.S. Coast Guard training

Ferro and Smith agreed these classes were among the most difficult they’ve tackled, ever. The instruction itself took three weekends and not consecutive weekends. This didn’t count homework assignments and studying, which they often did together.



An Extraordinary Life: Lockport bar owner was made to entertain
At home and work, Paul Blough made everyone feel welcome

It didn’t matter to Paul who was in need. If someone asked, Paul gave. If it furthered commonality, Paul was in.



Pets of the Week: Jan. 23

Click on the caption of each photo to find out about that pet, including where he or she can be adopted.



Mystery Diner: Metro Grill &Bar has expansive menu

I actually started with the house-made monster meatball appetizer, which is a half-pound meatball with meat sauce, Parmesan and Parmesan bread triangles.

http://www.theherald-news.com/2016/12/16/metro-grill-bar-has-expansive-menu/aq9u7fs/



Two downtown Joliet Lutheran churches building a vibrant ministry

First and Santa Cruz maintain separate identities, work toward common goals

“There’s a lot of vibrancy,” Rev. Keith Forni, pastor, said. “That has to do with the young Latino families that are coming into their own realization that it’s time for them to step up in leadership and deeper involvement to sustain ministry in the heart of Joliet.”

http://www.theherald-news.com/2017/01/24/two-downtown-joliet-lutheran-churches-building-a-vibrant-ministry/apu07tv/


Award-winning author to speak about revisions at the Plainfield Public Library

Mary Higgins Clark award-winning author Lori Rader-Day to lead a revision workshop

During her one-hour workshop – and in the handouts she will distribute – Lori Rader-Day will explain why the 50,000 words NaNoWriMo requires of participants does not , in fact, count as a complete story by industry standards.

http://www.theherald-news.com/2017/01/24/award-winning-author-to-speak-about-revisions-at-the-plainfield-public-library/anggbml/

No comments: