Friday, January 20, 2017

Story Round-Up: Features in The Herald-News, Jan 15 through Jan. 20

Super tired and behind this morning, so a very quick recap of this week and a peek into the weekend.

A short week of sleep, a long week of extra work and activities, and a packed day: Phone interviews at 9:30 and 11, and in-person interviews at 1, 2 and 3 p.m. today. Plus Sunday pages to budget, etc. Fortunately, all deadline stories are filed.

All on minimal sleep the last couple of days. And teaching tonight and weekend editor this weekend. WHEW!

The sweetener: I love what I do. Still fiddling with fiction for thirty minutes each morning, thoroughly enjoyed WriteOn Joliet last night and am looking forward to tonight's fiction writing workshop.

First, the non-bylined work: the health, faith, and arts and entertainment calendars. Three of them can be found at the link below. http://www.theherald-news.com/lifestyle/ Gotta Do It, runs each Sunday and often stays on the home page throughout the week.

Feature briefs for Tuesday (health), Thursday (faith), Friday (Arts and Entertainment), and Sunday (People) are also edited (texted and photos) by the lady of this blog, but only the stories have bylines.

Another option: I do post the briefs and calendars on Twitter during the week, so you're welcome to follow me at @Denise_Unland61. And of course, I post curated content relating to the BryonySeries at @BryonySeries.

Just an FYI: On free days, holidays, and Sundays I'm not on call, I only post the blog to my "real" Twitter account, as my company insists we do take time off. I'm less reasonable, so unless I'm on a real vacation, I still post to the BryonySeries accounts. I won't be posting to my personal Twitter account this weekend, only to BryonySeries.

FYI: videos have not been attaching to my Herald-News stories, although they do run for a time on the home page. You may also find them under the "videos" tab.

If you'd like to watch a video, and it's not showing up for you, message me, and I'll manually attach it. No worries for this week, though, although I will have videos for Sunday.

Thank you for reading The Herald-News.


Joliet pastor and former housing authority resident honored to give back   (VIDEO EXTRA)
Rev. Glenda McCullum appointed to housing authority’s board of commissioners

Mayor Bob O’Dekirk did it for two reasons: McCullum asked to be considered when a position opened, and O’Dekirk, who’s known McCullum for years, said he has much respect for her – as a leader and as a former resident of the authority’s recently demolished Des Plaines Garden Homes apartments.

http://www.theherald-news.com/2017/01/11/joliet-pastor-and-former-housing-authority-resident-honored-to-give-back/axzpb3k/


An Extraordinary Life: Mokena girl never let cystic fibrosis limit her

Rachel Sweet took her double lung transplant and ran with it

“I don’t know if I want to work for someone or have my own business,” Rachel had said, “but I don’t want to be low on the totem pole of accounting. I want to be up there, to be important.



Pets of the Week: Jan. 16

The Herald-News presents this week's Pets of the Week. Click on the caption of each photo to find out about that pet, including where he or she can be adopted.

Email "Pet of the Week" submissions to news@theheraldnews.com. Photos should be in jpg file format, 200 dpi and sent as email attachments. Submissions are subject to editing for length, style, grammar and run as space is available.

http://www.theherald-news.com/2017/01/08/pets-of-the-week-jan-16/ar9ukil/


Mystery Diner: Fox’s Restaurant and Pub in Plainfield hits the spot

For starters, however, I had to try the Reuben rolls, something the menu touts as a “Fox’s invention.” I only say it that way because I’ve seen them on other menus and have no way to confirm the originator. But they seem confident enough, putting it in print for all to see.



Lockport Sunday school teacher proves his faith by the way he lives (VIDEO EXTRA)
At 95, Donald Horschler teaches Sunday school, distributes Bibles at Stateville

“There’s no verse in the Bible that says I can retire,” Horschler said. “So I’m going to do this until I die. Who knows? That may be closer than I think.”



Joliet theater to present musical comedy with religious themes
Joliet resident to present play about five people locked in a church

“It is my heart’s great desire to touch the ears and tickle the funny bones of good people,” Kimberly D. Garrett said. “It is absolutely 100 percent possible to have a great time and still not be offended. It’s possible to have fun and still be saved.”

http://www.theherald-news.com/2017/01/17/joliet-theater-to-present-musical-comedy-with-religious-themes/a3573r4/


Three local members of the U.S. Navy to participate in the presidential inauguration


Jon Agazzi wanted to play the bassoon, but his father had a clarinet in the attic and told Agazzi, “If you’re going to play anything, it’s going to be the clarinet,” Agazzi said.

http://www.theherald-news.com/2017/01/18/three-local-members-of-the-u-s-navy-to-participate-in-the-presidential-inauguration/a2tll4i/

No comments: