Friday, November 11, 2016

Story Round-Up: Features in The Herald-News, Nov 6 through Nov.11

First of all, please check out this week's briefs. I've edited and uploaded stories about veterans to the People and Arts and Entertainment pages in honor of Veterans Day.

Secondly, videos have not been attaching to stories, although they do run for a time on the home page. If you'd like to watch a video, and it's not showing up for you, message me, and I'll manually attach it.

And finally, I'm coming into an intense couple of weeks, so send up a prayer, think good thoughts, have happy wishes, sacrifice a goat.,..I have a four-day work week next week and a three-day work week after that. While that may sound awesome, it also means that I have to cram all my deadlines into that space. (Bring on the coffee!)

But it also means that next weekend, I'll be staying in Morris and spending three days just being a mom, mom-in-law, and a grandmother to Joshua's family. Looking forward to it.

For the week after that, I'll celebrate a simple, low-key Thanksgiving with my family before switching into a fiction marathon, a writer's retreat on the home front, if you will.

Here's this week's work summary:

First, the non-bylined work: the health, faith, and arts and entertainment calendars. Three of them can be found at the link below. http://www.theherald-news.com/lifestyle/ Gotta Do It, runs each Sunday and often stays on the home page throughout the week.

Feature briefs for Tuesday (health), Thursday (faith), Friday (Arts and Entertainment), and Sunday (People) are also edited (texted and photos) by the lady of this blog, but only the stories have bylines.

I also put together an extra calendar, a listing of area craft fairs for 2016: http://www.theherald-news.com/2016/09/13/area-craft-events/aei3pml/

Another option: I do post the briefs and calendars on Twitter during the week, so you're welcome to follow me at @Denise_Unland61.

Thank you for reading The Herald-News.



Channahon faith-based organization helps kids in 2 ways

Legacy Families is faith in action where children are concerned

What do sports and orphans have in common?

At first glance, probably not much. But Lee Swank of Channahon saw the connection and combined ministry for both under one organization – Legacy Families. The nonprofit offers Christian-based, family-friendly sports programs to children and financially assists families in the process of adoption.

http://www.theherald-news.com/2016/11/02/channahon-faith-based-organization-helps-kids-in-2-ways/asqbz8u/



An Extraordinary Life: Brandon Regan's legacy

“I think people looked at their own lives and their troubles and then they saw this kid who was facing death and still fighting,” said Robert Regan, Brandon’s father. “He inspired them.”



Minooka freelance writer shares benefits of pilgrimage walk
Jean Tyrell shares the benefits of local ‘Camino’ hike

For newcomers like me, the monthly walk is a chance to learn more about the Camino experience and get some tips about the trek. Plus, I wanted to exercise with a group. Exercise, along with the head-clearing aspect of walking, is an essential part of my day, so an entire trip centered around days of walking with a spiritual goal appealed to me.



Manhattan woman's book teaches kids to trust God
‘I want children to understand that God is real’

“Mama used to sit all eight of us down every night and read to her," Lekeda L. Vaughn of Manhattan said. "Her passing lit a fire under me.”

http://www.theherald-news.com/2016/11/08/manhattan-womans-book-teaches-kids-to-trust-god/anhhdur/


Joliet VFW honors veterans throughout the building (VIDEO EXTRA)

Stone City VFW Post 2199 invites community to see memorabilia 

Tucked into corners, spanning walls and flying overhead at Stone City Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 2199 in Joliet are reminders of military service.








No comments: