Sunday, May 17, 2015

Confessions of a Shapeshifter

I'm forever shaping and shifting my plans.

And I don't always like it. In fact, most of the time I don't like, but with all the practice I get, one day, I'm certain to master it.

It's no surprise that my to-do lists are waaaaay bigger than my ta-da lists, for several reasons.

One: I have a lot of responsiblities in all areas of my life.

Two: My drive for detail and thoroughness means I tend to do things the long and hard way.

Three: I like to get ahead (Ha!).

Four: I have this theory that I play after the work is ALL done, so, of course, the goal is to get it all done (Ha! Ha!).

Five: I have way more confidence at the amount of tasks I can accomplish at the beginning of the day than at the end of it and plan accordingly.

Six: I'm a perfectionist. I like to get everything right all the time, the first time. (Ha! Ha! Ha!)

Of course, circumstances change all day long, necessitating the shifting and shaping.

So I'm looking at the list I had planned for this weekend and early into the coming week and comparing it to the weekend I had (and am having). They are only remotely close.

This means, I am stressing at how to make List A fit into Reality B. And it's not going to fit.

But while I tried configuring the list into today's already full schedule, a monkey wrench leaped into the mix and changed said list from barely plausible into ludicrous. And who knows if that monkey wrench has friends happy to crash my semi-organized party?

You see what I mean.

So I'm shfiting and shaping today's plans into another form.

Which means shifting and shaping tomorrow's plans into another form. Cue hyperventilation.

Neither look like they did at the beginning of the weekend, BUT...

If I had stuck to the list, I would have had a miserable weekend, considering all the variations that popped up like a bad case of hives.

Instead, I had a semi-stressed weekend, enjoyable because of the enjoyable things that I did and stressed because I veered from the list. And I'm stressing about how to cram in all the things I need to do by tomorrow.

AHHHHHHHH!

And yet, each time this has happened, it has worked out.

So feeling a bit like Gumby on Play-Doh, I'm stretching and pulling and shifting and shaping once more. Bet it's not the last time today.

Take a breath, Denise.


No comments: