Monday, February 2, 2015

My Plans at the Top of the Weekend and What Really Happened

I'm a planner and a list-maker.

At the end of each day, I write a list - in order - of things that need to be done. I revise that list during the day as things come up and fall apart.

Knowing I was on call for The Herald News this past weekend, and knowing it was Super Bowl weekend and that snow was a-coming, I planned my weekend like this:

* Leave work early on Friday (I like to stay late on Friday nights and work on feature briefs). My rationale: if the weekend was busy, I could write fiction in Friday night and feel like I had a weekend.

* Saturday - social media postings for two newspapers, keep an eye on email for two newspapers, cover any breaking news, work on short Kellen Wechsler scenes for the Before the Blood (as those could be easily interrupted) during the day and feature briefs that evening.

* Sunday - more of the same, except church instead of fiction.

So this is what really happened:

Friday - Left work early on Friday. Worked out, re-read what I had written last week, watched Family Guy and Futurama with Daniel.

Saturday - work stuff slowed down around noon. Worked on some descriptions and then got lost in developing several scenes that sucked me in. When it became apparent we would not be attending church forty miles away due to weather, I figured I could edit briefs in-between covering breaking news. Scheduled all social media postings in case the morning got busy.

Sunday - Hit the ground running. There was so much breaking news, my editor and another reporter ended up working, too. Walked through the neighborhoods interviewing people. Made phone calls. Shot two videos on my phone. Internet down. Made two trips to The Herald-News to use internet there and climbed through nine inches of snow to get to the door. Along the way, we stopped several times to Daniel and Timothy could push stranded motorists out of the snow and back on the road. Took a short break, updated snow story, shower, dinner (which Daniel made), drowsed through one episode of Once Upon a Time with Rebekah and went to bed dreaming of covering stories.

Total amount of feature briefs edited : 0

Feeling: Thankful I made the decision to give myself some creative time, as it rests and energizes my brain. Excited that I learned some new things. Grateful that I didn't screw anything up in a majorly way. Proud of the men that my sons have become. Confident that God will work out the best time for me to catch hope. Looking forward to tackling the new week.

All in all, not a bad weekend.




No comments: