Thursday, January 15, 2015

BryonySeries Throwback Thursday: Cream Tartar Whey (or what I didn't give Timothy during his recent flu bout)



Thursday, March 31, 2011

Cream Tartar Whey

is supposed to be an excellent dish for those with a fever, according to Miss Beecher's domestic receiptbook: designed as a supplement to her Treatise on domestic economy.Judging from the piles of empty bottles of sports drinks in front of the television, I don't think any of the feverish in my household would agree, but here's the recipe if you know someone more adventurous.
 Warm a pint of fresh milk, when scalding hot, stir in a teaspoon of cream of tartar, and if this does not turn it, add more, till it does. Strain it, and sweeten with loaf sugar. Excuse me while I make the rounds of thermometers, fever reducers, and cough syrup.

No comments: