Friday, November 14, 2014

This Weekend and Story Round-Up


Fiction tonight and tomorrow and also into Monday, as I have a REAL free day this time (I worked about half of the last one because I had to be gone part of a day that same week).

Today, however, will a  gallop. I left work early yesterday to be filmed for a community television segment. That, combined with losing a day next week, well, maybe "gallop" is too mild a word.

In the meantime, here's my week in review:


New Lenox veteran's 47-year search for fellow marines finally leads to reunion
By Mauverneen Blevins

The title says it all, the story provides the details



An Extraordinary Life: New Lenox Township man was strong in spirit

On a crazy and rough Monday, I actually received a telephone call from a reader, telling me how much this story inspired him.



Manhattan air force captain doesn't let traumatic brain injury squelch his drive
By Jeanne Millsap

After I submitted this story, the copy desk messaged me to say this topic of TBI is underreported. I totally agree. Far more awareness is needed. Even with a slight amount of injury, the struggle can be enormous...and lifelong.



Joliet Junior College student to compete in culinary Olympics.

Even sweeter, it's this studen't first competition. Oh, and she likes to bake Christmas cookies. Recipe included.



Joliet Catholic church has undergone many transformations

The pastor at the Church of St. Anthony that spearheaded them - and throughly enjoys discussing them - has a unqiue history with this church, too. Make sure to check out the stunning photos by our very talented photographer. The vintage ones are pictures of pictures, but the way Lathan shot them, one can't tell.



Romeoville restaurant hosts movie screening to benefit Toys for Tots
By Jeanne Millsap

"In My Brothers" shoes is fiction, but it's inspired on a true story of a man who tours Europe in his deceased brother's shoes to fulfilll his brother's dream. The brother died during activy millitary duty. An ideal film for veterans and anyone that has struggled with loss.

No comments: