Monday, October 27, 2014

Ten Chapters, Done!

This weekend, I completed the first ten chapters of Before the Blood.

It's an exhilarating feeling and, I must confess, a bit of a downer, too. It's the last time I will compose the story from inside John's head, a saying good-bye to a story that's brewed inside me since January 1985.

And yet, the accomplishment!

So many false starts since I finished Staked! over Memorial Day weekend 2010; finally, the book is really on its way. Plus, the only day I really can immerse myself in it is Saturday. Sundays are full with church, work (put in five hours yesterday), and family interaction. So with those perspectives, not too much of a downer, just a bit of a wistful good-bue.

I've already begun serious work on the next ten chapters, Kellen's portion, and am looking forward to making some progress this weekend. I am on call and have some other obligations, but I have my very first vacation day ever on November 3, and I intend to make good use of it. This is not forgetting that Halloween is on a Friday night, and I have the apartment to myself.

:)

Before the Blood, as you might recall, is a series of four novels - ten chapters each from the viewpoints of John Simons, Kellen Weschler, Bryony Marseilles, and Henry Matthews - that move in singular-novel fashion, with all four characters intersecting for the remaining twenty chapters. It is, by far, the most complicated writing I've ever done and, except for the standalone werewolf novel that's next on the list when I finish Before the Blood, the only serious piece of fiction I've got rolling around my brain, although who knows what project will grab hold of my muse when I've finished with those.

And for Staked!? I messaged Sarah Stegall with a WTH? on Sunday morning, and she texted back with "A lot of OT," and promised to get back with me, so hopefully, soon...






No comments: