Tuesday, August 19, 2014

One Good Trick for Jump-Starting Your Muse

"A little provoked, she drew back, and after looking everywhere for the queen (whom she spied out at last, a long way off), she thought she would try the plan, this time, of walking in the opposite direction." Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking Glass


Ever finally carve out some time to work on the masterpiece, only to find the prose stopped up? Try this solution: Procrastinate.

Yes, procrastinate.

I started planned procrastinating years ago, when I first started writing on deadline couldn't think of anything brilliant fast enough and panic didn't work. In those crucual moments when inspiration takes a holiday, it's sometimes better to let it do just that.

A tired muse doesn't produce very good material. So allow it to rest. It will be back. What do I do in the meantime, especially while at work, and on deadline?

I catch up on email.

I take a walk.

I return phone calls.

I post something extraordinary to Facebook.

I reheat my coffee.

I review my notes, to that story or to another.

I edit soemthing else.

But while I'm doing this, my muse regains strength. However, when it awakens from its power nap, although it may be rested, it may still feel a bit sluggish. Go slowly; build gradually; and you may soon find the muse running full speed toward the finish line.


"Happiness is like a butterfly: the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder." Henry David Thoreau

Good writing sometimes works like that, too.


Grundy County employees combat the negative effects of sedentary jobs
By Jeanne Millsap

Betcha their muses got back up and moving, too.

http://www.theherald-news.com/2014/08/13/grundy-county-employees-combat-the-negative-effects-of-sedentary-jobs/axz1mwp/




No comments: