Thursday, June 12, 2014

Throwback Thursday: Blank Minds and Blank Pages

First published Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Blank Minds and Blank Pages

Have you ever had a million thoughts running through your head you just had to write, but once you sat down, nothing came at all?

I once thought only novice or burned-out writers experienced it. However, with a dozen years of published writing credits behind me, I guess I've moved beyond the novice state. I still love writing, so I'm probably not burned out either. Yet, nearly every time I face my computer, whether I'm writing for fun or on deadline, those initial words are slow to flow. It even happened when writing Bryony,

What fixes it? Solutions vary. Looming deadlines often get those words jumping onto the page. Re-reading my notes for inspiration helps, too. Scrubbing the kitchen floor or pairing socks might not seem like writing, but it is, for the motion allows ideas to seep into my mind. It reminds me of Alice, when she tried walking directly to the looking glass garden. The more determined she became to reach it, the more it eluded her.
 

No comments: