Sunday, June 29, 2014

One Victorian Recipe I'll Never Try


I'm fairly open about unfamiliar cuisine, but if I'd have been Melissa waking up to this breakfast in Bryony's room, I think I would have thrown up. To quote Melissa, "Didn't Victorians make normal food?"


Cod Sounds (Air Bladders) and Tongues

Cod sounds and tongues
Milk
Butter
Flour
Boiled eggs, cold

Soak them for 4 hours in blood-warm water, then scrape off the skin, cut them up, and stew them in a little milk until tender. Just before taking up, stir in butter, and a little flour paste, and scatter cold, boiled eggs over them. 


From "Memories in the Kitchen: Bites and Nibbles From 'Bryony'"
All proceeds benefit Big Brothers Big Sisters of Will and Grundy Counties. www.bbbswillgrundy.org
Order the cookbook at www.bryonyseries.com/Dalton_s_Dry_Goods.html

No comments: