Thursday, May 15, 2014

Throwback Thursday: Daily Bread

First published Thursday, December 9, 2010

Daily Bread

I used to consider myself one of those people who lived in the moment, back when I could afford to live in the moment.

When the recession first hit, we pulled up our socks, tightened our belts, and dragged the cobwebby resources we used during other money-poor times in our lives, confident we could batten the hatches and weather the storm.

Ahem! Enough cliches. :)

Unfortunately, challenges hit us so fast, I felt like crouching in a corner and letting them drown us. In one twenty-four hour period in October, we had so many troubles, my twenty-year-old son audibly wondered what seventeenth century witch had cursed us.

Although I was still praying, "Give us this day our daily bread," I really meant, "Give me back security, financial, medical, and otherwise, a week or more at a time." I wanted to know a future on my terms was promised us.

In the meantime, some interesting things happened. With each new dilemma, someone or something stepped up to fill the gap. It's been two months since my husband lost his job and our health insurance. No one has gotten sick (yet, despite the fact I still need thyroid surgery), we're not behind in bills, and we're still eating. I have more writing assignments than I ever have. Even Bryony is moving along the virtual assembly editing line toward publication.

Earlier this week, a telephone call brought a financial blessing. The next day, another job threat occurred, and we reeled under that blow. Yesterday, relief for that crisis came from a highly unlikely source. Saturday, nine people are planning to attend Bryony's first "meet and greet," an opportunity for those involved in the project to say, "Howdy" and shake hands.

I'm not feeling completely ready to "Let go and let God," but, like it or not, He's certainly inching me along in that direction.

 

No comments: