Monday, May 19, 2014

I Spent Some Time In Munsonville After All

Friday I hit the sack fairly early (for a Friday night) as I was the on-call editor for the weekend, and I also had two stories to cover.

Before running to the bank, I did some postings for one newspaper, edited next Monday's pet feature, wrote a nice draft for Friday's A&E feature, and then, that afternoon, covered a cook-off benefit for homeless and disabled verterans and had coffee with one really nice poet. I headed back to The Herald-News to write those stories, got back to the apartment about six-thirty, worked out in the fitness center with Daniel, and then grabbed some poor boy sandwiches with Daniel and Timothy. Rebekah was spending the weekend in Morris, so I had our room all to ourselves.

:)

At eight o'clock, I settled down at the computer for a lovely four and a half hours of working on the prequel, racking it up well after midnight for a shower, into bed oneish, and then up at seven to start my postings for two newspapers, church, a visit from Joshua and company, grocery shopping, etc. etc. et all.

One of the smartest things I have ever done, prequel-wise, was to print out all my chapter notes to this sixty-chapter tome and three-hole punch them into a binder. This allows me to carry the story around with me at all times, constantly reviewing the story every spare few minutes I have to keep the entire storyline fresh in my mind and jotting down ideas, dialogue, descriptions, phraseology etc., as they come to mind.

So,  yes, under this new regime, I am working on the novel every day(finally, as I can hear some of you say), and my extended time at the keyboard has become far, far more productive.

This week, with a three-day holiday at its end, The Herald-News has early deadlines. I plan to give the next five days the intensity it needs to ensure three days of no official work at the end of it. With the exception of church on Sunday (dedication at Joshua and Amber's church for Ezekiel and Jessica), I intend to spend those three days round or about the nineteenth century.

Cannot wait, cannot wait, cannot wait.

No comments: