Friday, March 21, 2014

WriteOn, Joliet!

This post actually belongs to Thursday, except I passed out before writing it, LOL!

Yesterday, I was soooo tired, I almost took a pass on writer's group. Boy, am I glad now I did not. What a great meeting!

As someone that writes and edits fulltime and then writes for fun, one might think meeting regularly with writers would be, well, tiresome. Actually, nothing could be farther from the truth.

To listen to the fruits of others' creative musings in progress, to hear them in draft form, and to watch them take shape, is incredibly rejuvenating and sends me scurrying back to my computer refreshed and ready to tackle my own projects.

You haven't lived until you've listened to a writer share his heart's work for the first time--uncertain of whether it's any good or not--and then taken that said writer's own words, added a bit of polish here and there, and watch the smile break out on his face when he realizes that he wrote that prose, and that it sounds damn good.

And BTW, if you have any affinity for 1970s B-cartoon (ZOUNDS!), you really missed a GREAT original screenplay based on Here Comes the Grump. Gonna ask its author if I can repost some of it. Too bad you'll miss his voice changes that accompanied it. I swear I was seven years old and sitting in front of ye old black and white (with rabbit ears) on Belmont Avenue in Joliet.

I miss Mr Rogers!

BTW, any writerly friends out there, it "seems" to me I've purposely added a cliche to this blog. Spot it?

No comments: