Thursday, February 6, 2014

Pushmi-Pullyu

When I was a very little girl, I had thought this was a real animal. At some point along the way, I realized otherwise, just as I realized the truth of other mythical characters, such as Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, etc.

Perhaps one of the hallmarks of growing up is no longer thinking like a child, which then, hopefully, eliminates childish behavior.

Sometimes, people mistakenly equate "childish" with the quite the adult "child-like" and consider mature thinking as devoid of imagination, creativity, belief in the impossible, etc., as they, one by one, relinqish their hold on all that seemed magical in childhood.

In fact, quite the opposite is true. It takes a heavy dose of maturity to remain "childlike" (open and vulnerable to possibilities) while saying a firm "au revoir" to "childish." (self-seeking, grasping, tunnel vision, etc.).

When my oldest son was learning to walk, he and I owned quite differing views on where it was appropriate to steer one's foot and quite the tug of war would ensue.

Sometimes, a hard thump on the ass is enough to jolt one back to reality, so when he'd resist my efforts at guiding him, and he'd yank in the opposite direction, I let go. Sometimes that worked, sometimes it didn't, but it did release both of us from useless, frustrating grappling.

I think sometimes we humans sometimes get stuck relationship patterns that resemble Dr. Dolittle's "find." That's when it might be best to recoqnize what's real and what's not and disengage from pointless arm wrestling situations.

Just a thought.

  

No comments: