Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Tonight I Heard Phyllis Reynolds Naylor Speak

This was the first time I'd attended a presention by an author, and I wanted to see how a good writer, someone with one hundred and forty titles to her name, conducted an event.

I had interviewed Phyllis Reynolds Naylor several weeks ago to promote the event at the Joliet Public Library. I arrived a couple of minutes late and sat in the back. About thirty people were present and that included two (I think) libarary staff members, some fans, at least one groupie, and a teacher with some students.

Ms. Naylor was elegant, softspoken, and prepared. She used notecards to cover her points, read several selections from her "Alice" series, talked about the people and events in her life that served as inspiration for certain characters and scenes, and even read a few fan letters.

She then answered about ten questions from the audience, one about the movie Shiloh, one about a book she didn't write, one about the reason behind writing One of the Third Grade Thonkers, and several about the writing and publishing process.

She had asked me to introduce myself if I attended, which I did quickly at the beginning of the autograph portion of the event. Not only did I enjoy Ms. Nash's presentation, I learned the basics of what to expect from an author event (I'm not famous, so based on her turnout, I'd say three attendees would be good for me) and how to approach the speaking and reading portions.

All good things to know considering WriteOn Joliet has its first practice open mic night tomorrow night.

No comments: