Thursday, May 10, 2012

Career Day at Brooks Middle School

About ten of us, including the FBI and the Bolingbrook library, post office, and police and fire departments, gathered in a large multipurpose area and talked to literally hundreds of kids over a six-hour period.

I had set up a display of recent Herald News clippings with my byline (I figured kds would think that cool), stories I had written for Patch.com, a few samples of press releases, ghost-written and other non-credited work for hire, and, of course, Bryony, so the students could see the wide range of writing one can accomplish as a freelancer.

My daughter, Rebekah Baran, Bryony's assistant online administrator, and I distributed nearly five hundred Bryony cards and answered questions about my at-home writing career, since the children had to fill in a booklet with key facts for at least three career contacts.

So what did they ask, and what did I answer?

1) Name three interesting facts about your job.

I get to play on Facebook all day (it's a great place to network and get story ideas); I can stay in pajamas as long as I want; and I write a weekly column (An Extraordinary Life) about people I find in the obituaries. Oh yes, and I get to write about vampires, too.

2) Name three negative things about your job.

 I only get paid if I work (because I'm paid by the piece, not the hour), so I work every day; I'm always on deadline; and I'm never done.

3) What has this job taught you?

Time management. Because I don't punch a time clock, and I have no boss standing over my shoulder, it's up to me to decide which projects to accept, when to schedule interviewing and actual writing time, when to answer the phone, when to check e and voice mail; and when to send payroll. Oh yeah, I also have to decide when to check the kids' homework and when to take a break and move the laundry, etc.

4) When do you want to stop this job and find another?

Never. I want to write until the day I die. Retirement is not in my vocabulary.

5) When can you start being a writer?

Now! Start composing those stories into your computer or notebook. That's what I did as a kid. You may only want to write for fun, or you may want to later expand it into a career, and both are fine. Writers are people who write, so WRITE!

Because  I really like interacting with kids, the day was an especially enjoyable one for me; plus, I was able to be with just Rebekah all day long. As a bonus, I walked away with two story ideas. I LOVE this job! :)



No comments: