Friday, August 19, 2011

The Other Snow-White

My very favorite Grimm fairy tale is a lesser-known story: "Snow-White and Rose-Red."

I remember reading it for the very first time from an anthology of Grimm fairy tales I had borrowed from the Joliet Public Library. It was the day after Christmas, which was historically, "eye-doctor" day, and it was a day.

The process began early in the morning with sitting in a large, crowded waiting area and gradually moving from room to room as the day progressed. It seemed to me as if we spent an entire day there; it probably was only a few hours.

Anyway, to pass the time, my sister and I always brought books. "Snow-White and Rose-Red" is the story of two poor, but very good, girls who live with their widowed mother in the woods. (I always wanted to be Rose-Red).

One winter evening, a bear comes to their door, asking to warm himself by the fire. At first, Rose-Red is afraid, but the bear reassures her and soon, the bear becomes a regular presence at their home.

When spring arrives, the bear leaves, saying he must guard his treasure from an evil dwarf. What happens next is classic Grimm.

Many, many free online sources for reading, including wikipedia. Just type the title into your browser.

No comments: