Thursday, June 9, 2011

So, Was It Funny?

Don't know. I didn't read mine at the group, and I brought home everyone else's to critique.

Memory refresher: The homework assignment for the Heavenly Sinners Writer's Guild was to write a humorous event in three hundred words. Only one person hit the mark, but even she had doubts she could. Ironically, she was spot on.

However, I  did learn something from listening to and reading it that selection. When writing that tightly, keep the relatable event very, very narrow, almost like a thin slice from the larger story pie. Condiment details, carefully sprinkled, keep you rooted in the story and enhance the point you're making.

Overall, I think my piece had humor, but the topic I selected had boundaries too wide. So, I'm going to rewrite it, with a different topic, just to meet the challenge.

And I'm going to do it today, before I get too busy.

No comments: