Monday, June 27, 2011

Meet Kathy Feeney-Pilarcik, Freelance Make-Up Artist, Part 1

This past spring, Bryony's director of marketing, Dulcinea Hawksworth, decided the author could use a little editing, too. So Dulcinea scheduled a makeover with Kathy Feeney-Pilarcik, a freelance make-up artist with twelve years experience.

Today, Kathy shares "experience and excuses."


1) How did you learn your techniques?

"I've been getting informational books since I was about fifteen years old. The first artist's book was by Way Bandy (He died of AIDS years ago), and I also have three books by Bobby Brown and one book by Trish McEvoy."


2) What about practical experience?

"The other work has all been by the seat of my pants and hard knocks and EXPERIENCE! In my opinion, the only way you learn is by practicing on many different faces, colors, and complexions. You have to keep in my mind the client's personal style, and you have to LISTEN to what they want and need."


3) What's your favorite make-up line?

"I use makeup from SO many different lines. Some of the cheaper brands are MUCH underestimated, but the expensive lines tend to be more highly pigmented and easier for ME to work with. Cheaper brands tend to make their pigments light, making it easier for the layman."


4) Why do you think most women can benefit from make-up?

"EVERYONE feels better when they feel pretty. I've heard ALL the excuses, (I dont have time (BS, GET UP five minutes earlier). I can teach a five-minute makeup just to brighten and even out skin tone, VERY easy, just a little effort can make you feel totally re-juvenated!!"

No comments: