Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Stephen Tuplin, Close-Up. Part One

Stephen Tuplin is working on his last semester at Tribeca Flashpoint Media Arts Academy, a digital media arts school located in Chicago, Illinois. He has agreed to film the Bryony trailer; a music video for James Onohan (http://www.jamesonohan.com/), the composer/pianist for Bryony; and a series of interviews with the Bryony team. Last summer, I had asked Stephen if he'd like to jump on board because his passion for movies was just the vision I needed for the Bryony trailer. Stephen also regularly posts in-depth movie reviews on his Facebook page. Below is the first of a two-part interview with Stephen. Connect with Stephen at echowhitefox@yahoo.comecho whitefox@mac.com http://flavors.me/echowhitefoxhttp://www.facebook.com/echowhitefoxhttp://twitter.com/#!/echowhitefox 1) Have you always been a movie buff? Why? "Movies have always been in my life. Some of my best childhood memories involved watching movies with my family with a roaring fire in the fireplace. Every time I would watch a movie, I would always get something from it. I don’t do my homework with the TV on cause I need to watch what’s on. The way I see it, movies are about entering the world of another person’s personal vision. Whether it’s a good experience or a bad one, I still respect all film; someone had the guts to pull it off. 2) When did you first try your hand at filmmaking? What did you film? "In the summer of 2003, my friend Luke and I started production on a film called, “the Squirrel”. It took us about four months to do. The production had no script; just a handicam and some terrible actors: Us. Needless to say, this film doesn’t get shown often. Good times though. 3) What made you pursue a filmmaking degree? "I knew I wanted to go into filmmaking in high school. People regarded me as the “movie guy” so I knew it was just in my blood. To be honest, I consider this question done; I was always going to make movies no matter what. 4) Why did you choose Flashpoint Academy? "In my senior year of high school, my dad told me about a new school in Chicago that was all about media arts and filmmaking. He sent me the link to the website and I signed up for my newsletter. The next day, after coming home from JJC doing my annoying Gen. Eds, Flashpoint personally called me. Their policy is to contact everyone who joins their site; this was encouraging for me.After going on their tour, there really wasn’t any other school that could satisfy me. Tribeca Flashpoint Academy is an all hands on school that doesn’t waste my time. Students from Columbia room with students from Tribeca, and they are always surprised at all the things we get to do. Word of mouth can contain exaggerations; Tribeca doesn’t need to." 5) Which do you enjoy more, filming or editing? Why? "The highlight of my year last year was directing. I get no greater pleasure than working with actors and collaborating with fellow filmmakers.Editing is just one of the many facets that Tribeca was able to teach me. Editing is something I enjoy thoroughly, but it’s not something I would call myself a pro at. The film is crafted, and sometimes saved in the editing room, but the actual shoot is where my adrenaline is."

No comments: