Wednesday, November 17, 2010

From Whimsical to Gothic

Why would a children's illustrator take on a vampire story? Read the last of a three-part interview with Bryony's illustrator Kathleen Rose Van Pelt (http://www.imaginarylinesstudio.com/) and find out.

7) So, why did you accept an assignment about vampires?

"The author! Denise is very convincing, and a wonderful writer! I thoroughly enjoyed reading the Bryony story."

8) What did you particularly enjoy about the novel?

"I liked the way it jumps between time periods and intermingles the characters within them. The Bryony story stays true to vampire legend, yet it feels fresh and current, too. I actually thought I needed a vampire in my life when I was reading it! It's not to get swept up in Denise's enthusiasm about Bryony, and I believe justifiability so!"

9) Where did you find your inspiration for the illustrations?

"A lot of the images are symbolic of what is going on in the chapter. I mixed up different images to help people visualize where they are visiting. Being a visual person, I like having images in a book. I hope I'm not the only one that still likes picture books.

No comments: